Driving Schools

Driving school Directory


Home | Directory - Find an Instructor | Instructors - add your details | Theory Test | Motorbike Trainers



Arguably, there hasn't been a better time to become a truck driver in the UK. There is a high demand for conscientious high quality goods vehicle drivers and a good wage can be earned. Normally, to take a test to drive any truck over 3.5 tonnes gvw (gross vehicle weight) you need to be aged 21 years of age or over. You will also need to have an ordinary car driving licence.

The Forms

You need to get and complete two forms:

  • Form D1 - Application for a driving licence.
  • Form D4 - Medical Report.

Although you already hold an ordinary (car) driving licence, you will need to complete a form D1 because to learn to drive an LGV you will need a provisional / vocational entitlement to be added to your existing licence. If you do not presently hold a photo-card driving licence you will also need a D750.


The D4 is required by the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) before they will add the provisional entitlement to drive an LGV to your licence. Arrange for a medical examination with your own doctor and complete form D4 as required. You will need to pay for the medical report as it is not free under the NHS. The current recommended fee is presently £67.50.

After your medical send both forms to the DVLA at Swansea with the appropriate fee. The amount will be shown on the D1 application form.

It normally takes no more than ten days for the provisional entitlement to be added to your licence.


Once you've got your licence back, contact a driver training school. Most training schools will offer you a driving assessment.

They will explain to you what is required to become a professional commercial vehicle driver and may give a demonstration drive. Then, you will be allowed to take the wheel and find out just what it feels like to be in control of the truck.

The instructor will ask you to carry out a few simple manoeuvres in order to assess your ability to drive a large goods vehicle. Once you've completed some on road driving the instructor will discuss your driving technique and tell you how much tuition he / she believes you will need to be competent to take a vocational category examination (rigid LGV).

The training school will advise you about the Theory Test and when to apply for your practical test.

CH49 4NF
Action logistics Driver Training & Development
0151 678 1709
Cat C and C+E training

AJM Transport Training - Liverpool, Merseyside - 0151 638 6288
Kent Metro - Essex, Sussex - 0800-731-7277
Wallace - London, Herts - 0845 602 9498
Eastern LGV Training - Birmingham - 0121 773 4557

Before Your Test
Your Licence
Find Driving Schools
Books & cd's
Book a Test
On Your Test
Show Me Tell Me
Pass Plus
UK Pass Rates
Motorbike Training
After Your Test
Car Buying Guide
Insurance Guide
Breakdown Guide
Instructor Section
Instructor Resources
Instructor Training
Motoring General
Forklift Courses
Useful Sites
Site Map
Buy Online

Official Theory Test